The National Ag Statistics Service reported record-high U.S. red meat production in April, totaling 4.30 billion lbs., an increase of 14% over the 3.75 billion lbs. produced in April 2007.

Pork was the big gainer, rising 18% from April of last year, while April beef production was up 12%, based on a 10% increase in cattle slaughter. Veal production increased by 1%, while lamb and mutton production were up by 2%.

In 2008, year-to-date totals (through April), commercial red meat production has increased 8% over 2007 totals. Beef production is up by 5%, while pork production is up by 13%. Veal production is down 12% from last year, and lamb and mutton production has declined by 5%.