From Wesley Dyer
Prep Time: 6 minutes Cook Time: 12 minutes Serves: 4
"Cook the tomatoes in a microwavable baking dish that is just large enough to hold them securely in place, so the tomatoes don't collapse at the sides while they heat."
* 4 large fresh tomatoes
* 1 small uncooked onion(s), chopped
* 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
* 1/2 pound uncooked lean ground beef
* 1 cup canned black beans
* 1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
* 1 tsp ground cumin
* 1/2 tsp table salt
* 1/4 cup(s) water
* 8 Tbsp low-fat Mexican Style shredded cheese
* Cut 1/4-inch slices from the tops of the tomatoes. Using a small spoon, carefully hollow out the tomatoes, keeping the tomato shells intact. Save the tops and scooped-out pulp for soups, stew, etc.
* Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until translucent (about 2 minutes). Add the garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add the ground beef and cook, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon, until browned.
* Stir in the beans, chili powder, cumin, and salt; Cook, stirring, until fragrant (about 1 minute). Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in water.
* Spoon 1/2 cup of the beef mixture into each of the tomatoes. Sprinkle each stuffed tomato with 2 tablespoons of cheese. Place the stuffed tomatoes in a microwavable dish; Microwave on High until heated through, the tomatoes have softened somewhat, and the cheese has melted (about 6 minutes). Let stand for 1 minute at room temperature before serving. Yields 1 stuffed tomato per serving.
This recipe is not only delicious, but very healthy as well! Diced green peppers are a great addition if desired. ENJOY!!!