Summit NJ, Jan. 27, 2011 – Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health is reintroducing to the United States market the Vista® vaccine line, which provides beef cattle veterinarians and producers with the most complete protection available against the most common and costly bovine respiratory and reproductive diseases.
Vista vaccines protect beef and dairy cattle against Infectious Bovine Rhinotracheitis (IBR), Bovine Viral Diarrhea (BVD Type 1 and Type 2), Parainfluenza3 (PI3), Bovine Respiratory Syncytial Virus (BRSV), leptospirosis, vibriosis, Mannheimia haemolytica and Pasteurella multocida.
The Vista line of vaccines was introduced to the market in 2005 with more research supporting its safety and efficacy than any other cattle vaccine at the time. A stop sale was issued on the vaccine in 2009 due to a variability issue with the BRSV antigen. Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health worked with the U.S. Department of Agriculture to resolve the issue and is pleased to welcome back this cattle vaccine to its portfolio and the market with even more research that confirms its superior respiratory and reproductive disease protection.
"Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health is committed to providing innovative, high-quality animal-health products that dairy veterinarians and producers trust," says Ron Bryant, who leads the U.S. non-confined beef and dairy cattle business for Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health. "We are excited to welcome back Vista to our portfolio of products, are committed to being a reliable supplier and are confident Vista will deliver the protection needed to keep dairy animals healthy and productive."
Vista provides the most complete protection from bovine respiratory disease (BRD), commonly known as pneumonia, which is the most prevalent disease in calves older than 30 days. Long-term effects of pneumonia include a negative impact on growth, reproductive performance and longevity.
Vista provides the following respiratory health benefits:
• The only avirulent-live culture Mannheimia haemolytica/Pasteurella multocida protection combined with a five-way modified-live viral (MLV)
• At least 182-day duration of immunity (DOI) for IBR and 206- and 200-day DOI for BVD Type 1 and Type 2, respectively
• BRSV protection in a single-dose
• Proven cell-mediated immunity (CMI) response to IBR, BVD Type 1 and Type 2 and BRSV viruses
Vista Once SQ is the only avirulent-live culture Mannheimia haemolytica/Pasteurella multocida protection combined with a MLV five-way viral. Mannheimia haemolytica and Pasteurella multocida are common causes of BRD, and Vista’s unique avirulent-live technology helps lead to a more complete immune response.
"Using avirulent-live bacterial vaccine technology has many of the same benefits as modified-live viral vaccines," says Rick Sibbel, D.V.M., director of Beef Technical Services for Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health. "The controlled replication of the bacteria evokes a more complete and effective immune response than killed vaccines."
Vista provides the most complete protection from reproductive diseases in cattle, including IBR, BVD Type 1, BVD Type 2, leptospirosis and vibriosis. Reproductive diseases reduce conception rates, cause abortion and reduce calving percentages.
Vista provides the following reproductive health benefits:
• At least 217-day DOI for IBR and 206-day DOI for BVD Type 1 and Type 2
• Persistent and fetal (congenital) infection protection for BVD Type 1 and Type 2
• Protection against Leptospira hardjo, including L. borgpetersenii serovar hardjo-bovis – available in a five-way viral / five-way Lepto combination
• IBR abortion protection
• Prevention of L. hardjo-bovis urinary shedding
• Single-dose L. hardjo-bovis protection
• Campylobacter fetus protection
Complete fetal protection
Vista is the only vaccine labeled for BVD Type 1 and Type 2 protection throughout the entire pregnancy, offering complete fetal protection. Vista provides protection for both persistent infection, for less than 120 days of gestation, and for fetal (or congenital) infection, after 120 days of gestation.
"Complete fetal protection requires immunity to BVD infections throughout the entire gestation period," Sibbel says. "Other vaccines have demonstrated prevention during the first 120 days, but only Vista has proven protection from conception to parturition."
"Congenital defects, abortions and poorer lifetime performance have all been associated with calves exposed to BVD in the second and third trimesters," Sibbel says.
Vista vaccines are available in the following presentations:
• Vista Once SQ: 10 and 50-dose; avirulent-live culture for M. haemolytica and P. multocida; MLV
for IBR, BVD Type 1 and Type 2, PI3 and BRSV
• Vista 5 SQ: 10 and 50-dose; MLV for IBR, BVD Type 1 and Type 2, PI3 and BRSV
• Vista 5 L5 SQ: 5, 10 and 50-dose; MLV for IBR, BVD Type 1 and Type 2, PI3 and BRSV; Leptospira: L. canicola, L. grippotyphosa, L. hardjo (including the L. borgpetersenii serovar hardjo-bovis), L. icterohaemorrhagiae and L. pomona
• Vista 5 VL5 SQ: 10 and 50-dose; MLV for IBR, BVD Type 1 and Type 2, PI3 and BRSV; Leptospira: L. canicola, L. grippotyphosa, L. hardjo (including the L. borgpetersenii serovar hardjo-bovis), L. icterohaemorrhagiae, L. pomona; and Campylobacter fetus
• Vista 3 SQ: 50-dose; MLV for IBR, BVD Type 1 and Type 2
• Vista 3 VL5 SQ: 10 and 50-dose; MLV for IBR, BVD Type 1 and Type 2; Leptospira:
L. canicola, L. grippotyphosa, L. hardjo (including the L. borgpetersenii serovar hardjo-bovis), L. icterohaemorrhagiae, L. pomona; and Campylobacter fetus
Vista vaccines are available through veterinarians and animal-health suppliers. Producers are encouraged to work with their veterinarians to design a vaccination-management program appropriate for their herds.
For more information about Vista, or to learn more about Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health’s full line of innovative, high-quality cattle health products, call customer service at 1-800-521-5767 or visit www.intervet.com.
About Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health
Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health, based in Boxmeer, the Netherlands, is focused on the research, development, manufacturing and marketing of animal health products. The company offers customers one of the broadest, most innovative animal health portfolios, spanning products to support performance and to prevent, treat and control disease in all major farm and companion animal species. Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health; subsidiaries of Merck & Co. Inc., Whitehouse Station NJ, USA. For more information, visit www.intervet.com.
Today’s Merck is working to help the world be well. Through our medicines, vaccines, biologic therapies, and consumer and animal products, we work with customers and operate in more than 140 countries to deliver innovative health solutions. We also demonstrate our commitment to increasing access to health care through far-reaching programs that donate and deliver our products to the people who need them. For more information, visit www.merck.com.