This is an exciting time in the cattle business, a time full of change. And managing change is the challenge.
We would love to know what you’re thinking on some of these topics. Take a few moments and send us an email with your thoughts on some of the following topics. We’ll then summarize and share your thoughts.
- Do you expect prices to be higher or lower for calves, fed cattle and cows next fall compared to this fall?
- Do you plan to expand, maintain or reduce cow numbers in the coming year?
- Are you changing your bull-selection parameters this spring compared to previous years? If so, in what way (reducing mature size, emphasizing pounds, efficiency, carcass traits, calving ease, heterosis, etc.)?
- Do you expect to market your calves in the same manner next year? How about five years from now?
- What is the greatest challenge you face?
- Do you expect the global economy to begin to rebound in 3-6 months, 6-12 months, or more than a year?
- If you were going to describe the cattle business to someone looking to enter it, would you call it – a great opportunity, tough but worth it, or pretty bleak?
Send your comments to: Troy Marshall, P.O. Box 297, Burlington, CO 80807; or e-mail