The Humane Society of the U.S. (HSUS) has listed the issues it wants the various federal agencies to address. Some of the items HSUS listed for USDA include:
- Downers and slaughter plant oversight – immediately finalize rule closing loophole and comprehensively banning slaughter of any downed cattle.
- Enforcement – increase oversight of the Humane Methods of Slaughter Act and Animal Welfare Act.
- Horse slaughter – support legislation to institute a permanent ban on horse slaughter and exports of horses for human consumption.
- Intensive confinement – support efforts to phase out intensive confinement, as recommended by the Pew Commission on Industrial Farm Animal Production.
- Confined animal feeding operations (CAFOs) – reverse the Bush Administration EPA final rule exempting CAFOs from federal reporting requirements on emissions; ensure that CAFOs aren’t exempted from environmental laws, including new laws addressing climate change, as well as Community Right-to-Know and Superfund.