Mycoplasma Bovis Ravaging Kansas Buffalo Herds
Nearly a quarter of the buffalo in Kansas' Maxwell Wildlife Refuge, located 50 miles north of Wichita, have died of Mycoplasma bovis. Refuge manager Cliff Peterson tells the Wichita Eagle that 47 of the refuge's 200 buffalo have died from the bacterium that causes pneumonia, mastitis and arthritis in cattle.
Peterson says he's aware of two other infected buffalo herds in the state. Half of one herd and a third of the other have died, the article reports.
While it's not clear how the buffalo were infected, Kansas State University DVM Larry Hollis says Mycoplasma bovis infections are rare in native Kansas cattle herds. He advises cattlemen to ensure they have a double fence between buffalo herds and cattle herds, as the bacteria is spread by sneeze droplets or nose-to-nose contact.
To learn more about Mcyoplasma bovis in cattle, read the BEEF magazine article, "Grappling with Mycoplasma" at beef-mag.com/mag/beef_grappling_mycoplasma/index.html.
-- Joe Roybal