Calves, producers protected against BRD with preconditioning program and warranty
DULUTH, Ga. — Jan. 29, 2009 — Merial announces that the MERIAL® SUREHEALTH® Limited Warranty will be offered when 100 percent of the calves selling at the sale, or in load lots directly off the ranch, are certified through the MERIAL SUREHEALTH Calf Preconditioning Program.
“The MERIAL SUREHEALTH Limited Warranty is proof of the confidence we have in the SUREHEALTH program and the value of a properly preconditioned calf,” says Dr. Frank Hurtig, director, Merial Veterinary Services. “This program is to help buyers and sellers of calves certified with SUREHEALTH ensure the integrity of the program and keep calves healthy.”
With the MERIAL SUREHEALTH Limited Warranty, Merial will assist the buyer and the consulting veterinarian in the diagnosis and appropriate antibiotic therapy for cattle that develop bovine respiratory disease (BRD) during the first 21 days following purchase.
To qualify for the program, calves certified with SUREHEALTH cannot be commingled with those that have not. Below are a few additional items buyers and sellers should keep in mind to qualify calves for the limited warranty.
1. Buyers and sellers need to complete an application at the point of the sale.
2. Cattle can be purchased from a MERIAL SUREHEALTH sale,* in load lots directly off the ranch or private treaty.
3. Upon feedyard arrival, cattle that have been certified with SUREHEALTH that also have been backgrounded or grazed for a prolonged period of time must be revaccinated with a modified live virus BRD vaccine.
4. If any cattle develop clinical signs of BRD during the first 21 days following purchase, the owner must notify Merial Veterinary Services at 1-888-637-4251, option 3, within 48 hours.
5. The Merial Veterinary Services team will assist the purchaser and the consulting veterinarian in diagnosis and treatment of BRD as needed.
In addition to being backed by a 21-day limited health warranty, SUREHEALTH is the only nationwide, veterinarian-certified calf preconditioning program. Producers also have the option of source- and age-verifying calves with the SUREHEALTH Value Option.
“The SUREHEALTH program is an ideal option for producers looking to add value to calves,” Dr. Hurtig says. “It gives producers a convenient option to follow a proven health protocol, add marketability to their calves and use the availability of source and age verification — all from a single program.”
The SUREHEALTH program consists of comprehensive health protocols, including parasite control with an IVOMEC® (ivermectin) Brand Product; two rounds of vaccinations; a Pasteurella vaccination with RESPISHIELD® HM; a 45-day weaning period; and other best management practices, such as castration and dehorning. For more information contact your veterinarian or local Merial Sales Representative, visit http://www.SUREHEALTH.com or call 1-888-MERIAL-1.
Merial is a world-leading, innovation-driven animal health company, providing a comprehensive range of products to enhance the health, well-being and performance of a wide range of animals. Merial employs approximately 5,400 people and operates in more than 150 countries worldwide. Its 2008 sales were more than $2.6 billion. Merial Limited is a joint venture between Merck & Co., Inc. and sanofi-aventis. For more information, please see http://www.merial.com.