What is in this article?:
Branding is still the best defense against cattle rustling, experts say.
14 Property Theft Prevention Tips
Here are 14 tips provided by the Texas & Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association to prevent property theft:
1. Display a sign from your state cattlemen’s association on gates and entrances.
2. Lock gates.
3. Brand cattle and horses, and make sure the brand is recorded.
4. Put your driver’s license number on all saddles, tack and equipment.
5. Count cattle regularly.
6. Video horses and tack, and keep complete descriptions on file. Establish an organized proof-of-ownership file to save time in the recovery process.
7. Vary feeding times.
8. Be cautious about who has keys and combinations.
9. Park trailers and equipment out of view from the road.
10. Keep tack rooms and saddle compartments on trailers locked.
11. Don’t feed in pens.
12. Participate in neighborhood Crime Watch programs.
13. Don’t build pens too close to the roadway.
14. Never leave keys in tractors or other equipment.
Debby Schoeningh is a freelance writer based in North Powder, OR.